Yesterday started out very well. I got up early and tidied the kitchen (exciting I know) and then had tea and read some blogs. I then went over to lizey's for breakfast and it was decided to put coffee in a thermos and buy croissants from The French Lettuce (one was pistachio and it was delicious, and the plain ones were really dense and buttery) and head to the garden at Abbotsford convent. We sat on the grass and chatted and it was all very lovely. I didn't take any actual photos of breakfast so you get random pictures I took while walking to lizey's.
View from George St toward Gore St. It was a beautiful clear morning.
I liked this typeface.
This made me giggle.
The remnants of breakfast.
My afternoon was more frustrating. I have been working on my captions for the images for my thesis and it is DOING MY HEAD IN. I have about 40-100 per chapter. Each one needs the full details of creator, name, date, materials, size, collection. For some this is easy and straightforward but for others it is so difficult. Many I only know through their publication in secondary texts and a lot of these, especially older texts, give hardly any details, not even collection so I can't look them up! It doesn't matter hugely for a thesis to have absolutely perfect captions but they should be pretty damn good and it is hard to know when to put 'Dimensions unknown' or 'Collection unspecified' or when to keep looking in that next book or next database for more information. I also have to make the catalogue as well and that is time consuming as my image software is pretty basic. I think I may have to borrow some money to buy photoshop.
It is all a good learning experience though. I now know that I should treat images like my bibliography. As soon as I use one I should write down all the details have I have about it and make a copy of it when possible. Hey ho back to it and sorry for the possibly boring thesis musings, it just helps to get it off my chest!
No comments:
Post a Comment