Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Eggplant Curry




I have had some people asking for the recipe for my eggplant and spinach curry, usually motivated by me saying something like 'I make this amazing eggplant curry you would love.' To be honest Signore M makes it more often than me. I cooked it last night and remembered to take a photo so here is the recipe.

Spicy eggs with eggplant and spinach, I sometimes make it without the eggs and is still good.

Serves 2-3
1 eggplant cut into cubes
2 garlic cloves crushed
4 eggs
vegetable oil
2 onions, one cut up fine, one sliced into half rings
1 green chilli, finely chopped
2cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
curry leaves
2 tspns tomato purée or tomato sauce (secret ingredient!)
1 tspn ground coriander
1/2 tspn turmeric
1/2 tspn chilli powder
1/2 tspn garam masala
4-5 tomatoes you could use a 400gm can too (depending on size, the ones I use are smallish)
4 handfuls of spinach
salt

Roast eggplant in an oven dish with some salt and crushed garlic cloves for about 30 mins at 200 degrees or until soft.

Boil eggs then set aside to cool and shell.

When eggplant is done. Heat oil in frying pan or wok then add onions, chillies, garlic, ginger and curry leaves and cook until onions are soft. Add tomato puree/sauce, ground coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and little salt and cook stirring for about 1 minute.

Add tomatoes and eggplant. Cover and cook stirring occasionally, if it is a bit dry you can add a little water. When tomatoes have cooked down (after about 10 minutes), add spinach and cover again until spinach is wilted then stir through chopped boil eggs (I usually chop some into halves and some finely).

Serve with rice or couscous.

2 comments:

WayneandFarrah said...

this looks yummy!!!! I love eggplant.
x
Farrah

Katya said...

It is yummy. Eggplant is one of my favourite foods for sure.