Pages

Monday, February 06, 2006

Sunday

I went out with Ellie today to see the Palazzo della Consulta on the Quirnal hill, it is one of the seats of government (the Constitutional court) but it is open to visitors on weekends in feb. It was apparently built with lottery money, even though gambling was forbidden in Rome on pain of excommunication, but the papacy recinded it just to raise funds to build themselves a new palace. Gotta love em.

It was very nice,a bit 19th century in some bits but I forgive them. The guided tour was in ITalian too and I pretty much followed everything so that made me happy.

Then we left and saw a military band getting off a bus in the piazza and they seemed to be going into the quirinal palace to welcome the president back as we saw them raise the flag as a helicopter was landing.

Then we got ice cream from San Crispino, so so delicious, I had whisky and nuts and dried fig Drooling!


Pictures...

Image
Palazzo della Consulta

Image
The obelisk ( there are obelisks everywhere in Rome marking all the major points in teh papal procession route) and one of the discoboli, roman statues of horse tamers.

Image
The door to the palazzo della consulta

Image
Carabinieri outside the President's palace

Image
The soldiers with the band going down the steps.

Image
The musicians, note the amr on shoulder, such typical Italian men.

Image
The staircase street, going toward the quirinal palace

Image
Sunglasses I absolutely have to have!

Image
A dress I have to have.

Image
A bust of some dude with addded boogers Chuckle

No comments: