Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Saturday Relaxation

I headed over to Mum and Dad's on Saturday as Mum had offered to help me do some mending. I also took over some shoes as the local shoe repair man is incredibly cheap and incredibly good. He may well be one of the happiest people ever. He always looks at my shoes (which I tend to wear for that bit too long after they need repaired) and shakes his head and says 'how much do you love em? this is gonna be pricey." Then proceeds to quote something like $30 each for shoes that need the soles completely rebuilt and leather tears patched. Less than half what people in the city usually quote. I always try and explain that the shoes in question cost a lot more than $30 so that will be fine but he always looks skeptical.

I then found a pair of awesome vintage patent heels at the op shop. Only $10.

I drank lots of tea and had some pumpkin soup and did my mending. I think I did well, it wasn't too tricky but it really needed a machine and I don't have one. Also mum tends to encourage me to take care and do things properly rather than trying to just do everything as quickly as possible.

I also hung out with Hamish the Wonder Dog and Abby. They say hi.
















I also checked on my Jerusalem artichokes. I originally planted some about, hmm, 8 years ago and they have produced bumper crops ever since despite mum's attempts to not encourage them. This year she moved them to a different position and they just grew in both the new spot and the old spot. Mwahahahah!


So in about a month or so I will probably have many many to give away. One of the plants is about 8 ft high. They are a type of sunflower but despite their height and enormous leaves only produce tiny little daisy-like flowers.


The top is up there somewhere but hard to see so Mum helped by giving perspective.



I also found a curvy zucchini. It is waiting to be cooked up.

No comments: