I am skipping my scheduled supervision because I just don't have the drafts of my Introduction and Chapter One ready, sigh, I have worked on them very hard but I just can't meet any deadlines I set myself. I worked for well over 10 hours editing yesterday until my brain imploded and I was questioning everything. It is all very well to set these deadlines but it just feels like everything will in reality take so much longer.
On one hand the editing seems more straightforward because I have distance from the writing, but then after a few pages of re-writing every line I just get depressed about how crappy some of it is. I also feel sort of trapped behind some wall and I just can't push through to get these things done, I can see how they need to be and what I need to do but I just can't get there. Even straightforward things like finishing footnotes and I have the books and texts and I can't even get up to get the books and finish them.
I think all this feels compounded by teaching a ubject I feel is rubbishy and have zero enthusiasm for, which I also think represents the future of unis, including more of this badly paid teaching, but unfortunately being badly paid is better than being completely poor. Honestly, what is the point of having a PhD if all it guarantees is really badly paid teaching of subjects I don't even like?
Hereford
6 hours ago

2 comments:
You're right. I'm now thoroughly depressed about everything. Have you considered prostitution? It's historical. Do it right and it's arty?
Buck up, lovely! Soon it will all be over and doctordom will be yours. Not much help all this advice, I know. The latest Russell is quite good, though, don't you think? I listened to it while being sluiced with fresh sewerage on the boat on my way to work. And it was still funny.
God bless you, marm.
Take care, my pretty. Bon courage! xxxxxxxxxxxx R
Thanks, I feel better today.
I haven't listened to Russell yet, my internet went all slow so I only just got hold of it. I will listen as I walk to work tomorrow, which is mostly the gardens, so doesn't really need jollying up, but does probably need a crazy lady laughing at loud as she walks between the flowerbeds.
Is the city still full of protestors there?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment