
I wandered off to the art fair at the exhibition buildings on Sunday. It was good. I had a hangover. Maybe that helped to filter the enormous amount of information.
I haven't really been to an art fair before. The space was chock full of art, a lot to take in, people seemed to be having real trouble with their spatial awareness, possibly spatial awareness actually switches off in cases of visual over-stimulation.
I found it both fun and overwhelming to look at so much art, especially in the short time I had.
Good and bad and just stuff about the art fair.
- Boring or shit artwork looks much worse, when you can look over your shoulder and see something that is better and more engaging I just don't feel the need to try and engage with anything that is pretentious or dull.
-Looking at how much art costs is fun, the art fair is about selling after all. I had fun reflecting on the way a monetary value might be arrived at for different works of art. It is also just fun thinking "$24 000, for THAT SHIT", teehee.
-Looking at how galleries present themselves is fun. Apparently the fashions on the field were not so exciting on Sunday, even Anna Schwartz had dressed down to jeans, black of course.
Some art I took photos of for various reasons, my lens had a splodge so excuse that. Oh and I didn't exactly record what everything was, but hey labels aren't all that.


Gnomes are the new black I also saw them in Uplands and elsewhere. I liked this pretend garden, I might make one in my living room when Mark goes away.



THe other commissioned work, Peter Hennessy's My Humvee. I liked this, but somehow it was hard to look at in the space, it wasn't very striking. In fact when I first walked in, the sculpture was right in front of the doors, I didn't even notice it. The carnivalesque tent by Griggs fitted beautifully into the atmosphere of the show, but then once you get close and start looking at the images it isn't a carnival at all. Or maybe it is. Hmm. The age review said about Hennessy's work that "The precarious black monument balancing on its bullbar sends out waves that ricochet throughout the Art Fair." I don't like this description, but I think the work itself is good and fun.
A sculpture for the Top Gear team. Don't know which gallery or artist but it was called Red Octopus.
Everyone took photos of everything. I did too. Are people looking at the art or just collecting it on their camera phones? Maybe that could be a good way to collect. Will they ever look ath the photos. It is as though the camera has become a necessary part of identifying something which interests you, some people were even starting to get distressed when the image wasn't any good, as though they were losing the experience of seeing it. I need to think more about this.
And here I am taking photos of photos... Not a very satisfactory record. I liked these images with the super saturated colour, it made it seem as though even a boring office or factory could be fun with some splahy colour, like the land of Oz.


Trees and a forest by Zadok Ben David, the trees at the top were actually made of little figures, but what I liked most was the way they moed in the small breeze of people walking past. I was pondering whether making drawings, apintings or sculpture of plants is related to a what is referred to as 'place making' in garden history literature, it is an idea that encompasses more than just your conventional garden, but which also suggests that inherent in the creation of gardens is the idea that a new place is being made, a place that exists almost purely to be a place. This is a simplistic praisie but ome I will keep thinking about.
Jeong Yong-Kook Organic Garden (detail).
Exhibition Buildings in the sunset.


No comments:
Post a Comment