Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another week of teaching down. It is amazing how different groups of students can be. If I was only teaching my first group I would be seriously doubting my ability as a teacher, they sit there oh so silent. I have resorted to giving them group work, even group discussion, which goes against my tutoring ideal, but it is better than silence.

I am a bit frustrated with my thesis. I had a plan all done last Wednesday but I haven't got anything done, a combination of busy-ness and disorganisation. Yesterday was meant to be my day for writing my Introduction, I went in to un i to have a form signed, and then started worrying that I actually had no idea what an introduction should be like, I have an introductory chapter, but what goes in the introduction. I think ideally my recipe is "pithy quote that sums up problem" - followed by my intelligent yet well balanced insight into the existence of the problem and lack of research, followed by the more ho hum list of what is in each chapter but done in such a way as to seem like a seemless and persuasive progression toward a higher plane of understanding. Hmm. I looked at some other thesis online from the states and felt better about the appalling lack of grammar.

Then I went to the market and bought olives and bread and gave up on my plan of a burek as the crush was too intense.

I then felt tired and went home but I should have persevered in my plan to go to Journal and order green tea and write my introduction as I just ended up mucking around and tweaking things at home. I am so sure the convenience of word processing is far outweighed by the distractions provided by the internet, spider solitaire and so on. Maybe there was a window of oppurtunity between the coming of convenient computer word processing and the computer becoming a portal to procrastination. On the other hand I am pretty sure we had computers at home for games before we had them for work.

Off topic have other people ever noticed the delightful combination of homo-eroticism and homemaking in the Manchester Unity building in a scene I call 'Nude men buy houses'?

2 comments:

Gnae-O-Mi said...

If you had come to Journal, you would have seen me there already, having tea :)
But I will be there again next Wednesday. from 4:30 to 6:00.

I can empathise with you about students who sit there dumb as a stone, I cannot understand it, but perhaps that is because I am a naturally chatty person.

@ picture - heh heh, well, who doesn't go shopping in the nude? Perhaps it is meant to symbolise a kind of 'transparent honesty' in their transaction?

Anonymous said...

Or like the ancient Greeks doing 'Queer eye for the straight guy'?R xx