Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bits and pieces

Having a productive week this week. Yesterday I sent off the final draft of my thesis to my associate supervisor, which means it is basically done. At the moment I am doing lots of tidying and editing. I still need to chop some words and I am pruning the footnotes. I am also cross checking my footnotes with my bibliography and it is INCREDIBLY TEDIOUS. Argh. So much of the work I have been doing lately is very dull. Things just take forever when it is such a long document. But anyway mostly it is exciting to actually know I am finally handing it in after sooo long. I have been dealing with the tedium by watching movies while I do the mindless tasks. Especially the image formatting. I had to make a pdf document with 293 images in it. Seriously. Most people I know have had from 8-50 images. I think it is partly my topic, gardens often mean lots of different angles, and several different representations of the one object or garden. 

The weather has been lovely in the country this week. I have been enjoying hanging out with the cat and snatching moments in the sun to read books and drink tea and eat pancakes. I have been refreshing my head by going out and dead heading the roses and weeding the raspberry bed and attacking the mammoth blackberries that seem to have appeared out of nowhere.

Picture essay...
 I have spotted some big butterflies in the garden, about 12-15cm across. I chase them with my camera like I was some kind of nature photographer. Mostly I have photos of blurry leaves but a few came out OK.



 
I ate lots of berries in early Jan, and there now seems to be a second lot growing. Knowing my luck these will ripen just after I leave. Mulberry above, blackberry below.

 Golden tree.

 Lavender
 Crazy evil-hand-shaped lemon. Tree also has normal lemon-shaped lemons. I am guessing it is insects that do this.

No comments: