Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

FINISHED!

I wrote this last Thursday but then forget to publish it as I got bored waiting for photos to upload.

****

So today I finally handed in my PhD! It was pretty exciting. I got it printed yesterday at the print centre. It looked fantastic, the print guy was very impressed by the length of my bibliography (that's interdisciplinarity for you) and I was very impressed with the quality of the images. Very pleased I decided to have it done professionally. I sort of wish I had my own copy but at $125 for just one copy I think I will hold off till I do the final ones.


For those of you not familiar with the process, I had to hand in three copied to go off to my examiners, who will hopefully read it and send back their reports within the next couple of months, they say up to four months is normal. Then when I get it back I may have to make some corrections and after that I print up official copies to go in the library.

It's been a long haul, longer than it was meant to be. Though I have to say having handed it in all my anxiety and despondent feelings about being one of 'those' students who lapses and takes way too long has just fallen away and I feel proud of my thesis and I can see that it was my own particular journey and it just took as long as it took.


I got a balloon and a photo (not the best and hard copy and they used flash so it just looks like I'm holding a piece of white paper not an impressive tome). But I took my own photo with my balloon and I took a photo of the front of the thesis.


I kinda wanted to photograph every page but that would be silly so I made a Wordle of the text, now you can see which words I have overused and abused for the past seven years.

6 comments:

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Well done! What an amazing achievement!

Cecilia said...

Congratulations! I love how you get a balloon!! :)

Enjoy your time away from thesis-land!

Katie said...

Yayyyyyy!

Katya said...

Thanks guys. It is nice to be done.

Cindy said...

"... it was my own particular journey and it just took as long as it took."

Yep, I think completed PhD students everywhere would nod along to that (and more non-yet-completed PhD students need to hear it).

Again, congratulations. It is something to be enormously proud of.

peacay said...

Is there some taboo about passing on congrats before the examiners have had their wicked way with it? Like not saying good luck to actors?? Belatedly then, break a leg! (and yay!)