Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ottolenghi Surprise Tatin

I am enjoying having time to cook. Well not that I haven't done any cooking for the past seven years, but I haven't done much complex stuff in the past 6 months. Last night I made this 'Surprise Tatin', it has potatos and tomatoes and goat's cheese and you cook it with the pastry on the top then turn it over. WHAT FUN. I was worried I would break it when I turned it but I didn't and so then felt very smug. If you want the recipe it is here or you can buy the Plenty book and you really should because it is brilliant.

 Here it is just out of the oven with the pastry still facing up and a picture of what I am hoping it will look like.

 MMMMM puffy pastry.

 Tada! Pretty close, I used larger potatoes but I think it turned out pretty good.

A close-up. I used green zebra tomatoes in it and they were delicious. They have a stronger flavour than most red tomatoes, sort of tangier.

The tart had a layer of hard goat's cheese and you make a teeny amount of caramel that goes on the bottom (which is tehn the top) of the tart. The smell of caramel and goat;s cheese when it came out of the oven was wonderful. I was also struck that the whole process of the making the tart was sort of beautiful (yes I was thinking this after several glasses of rose and several of red, I even wrote notes on a post-it). The roasted tomatoes looked lovely all green and red, watching the caramel brown, arranging it all. Anyway. I recommend making it, tis good.

3 comments:

Shilo said...

that looks and sounds incredible, and makes me want to cook it. That in itself is remarkable as usually I see complicated dishes and think meh regardless of how tasty they appear.

Katya said...

It wasn't really that tricky. More time consuming as you roast the tomatoes, then cook the potatoes, then the onions. Making the caramel is probably the 'trickiest' bit, but really it isn't. I really enjoy the process of making Ottolenghi's recipes, I find it feels very creative and as though the process is meant to be enjoyed almost as much as the food. If that makes sense.

Cindy said...

Oh, wow, it looks so fancy! I tried a savoury tatin once and it didn't flip out in one piece. :-(

I should harden up and give it another go, 'cause this one looks totally worth it.