Pages

Thursday, October 09, 2008

I am so glad I only have a few weeks of teaching left. These new subjects are just so, nothing. I don't feel like the students have got anywhere particularly new, in fact whil we were waiting for our eye clinic visit (don't even ask) yesterday I overheard them saying "so do you think Monash or Deakin?", "Do you know which one will credit our first year subjects?" Yup they want to change unis. Don't blame them, I would have detested this new model. They just don't work, breadth sounds oh so great on paper but actually trying to enforce it, rather than let it develop naturally is so false. For example I was trying to explain today why I thought the essay qustion were far too general and basically dull, but no they have to be that because they have to be about inter-disciplinarity. Urgh. Honestly isn't the idea just that students do different areas of study? Not that each subject has to ram down their throats the VALUE of breadth and to write about it? It is not interesting in and of itself, it is just a big floaty concept.

Yesterday was on bad eyesight and we had these goggles to simulate eye problems, so I wore them in class, gave me a new perspective.

No comments: