Went to the Art Deco exhibition today with Mum and Dad, it was seniors day so they both got concession while I was the Adult, haha, but as I don't have an adult income and dad does he paid, thanks Dad! It is great, was very busy which made it difficult to see some things properly. Also it ( and this sounds a bit snobby) can be a pain hearing people say such inane things, kinda take the joy away. For example, some people, mainly women, were saying things like "no no, that's no good wouldn't want that in my house' or 'now that would make a rooly interesting feature wall', it isn't a bloody homeshow! On one hand people relate to art in a variety of ways, and I guess with a design show where a lot of the objects are things like radios, dresses, chairs etc, it is understandable. And I'm not arguing for things in art galleries being somehow sacred but I do wish that people weren't so consumerist about their appreciation, and could look at other aspects like how they reflect the period, the themes, etc, rather than just planning their living room. There endeth the review.
I found some images on the V&A database of some of the stuff.
This dress is great, if you look closely you can see that there are no folds it is an illusion created by the pattern of the beading.
Can't remember if these were in the Melbourne exhibition, some of the jewellery was very crowded so it was hard to see it properly but I love this land speed record commemorative jewellery.
Hereford
6 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment