Read through your work. When you come to a part that's particularly pleasing, strike it out. - Samuel Johnson (I think).
Mum has this written on her office wall and I I do feel a little under the tyranny of the written at the moment. For a few reasons. First the horrible thought that maybe I should begin the chapter again, eek. Second, I do have some great passages but now I look more carefully they seem like a collection of semi-related sentences. I need a flow chart. But I think I am slowly making progress, now I have the overall shape of the thesis written out i am finding a lot of areas where I can remove sections which say the same thing, I seem to have introduced my topic at the beginning of every chapter. The other piece of progress is to remove what I call 'thinking phrases', i.e. strings of words that reflect my thought process as I write rather than being necessary to explain to the reader. I have a lot of sentences that begin something like "It could also be said that..." "This would suggest then.." I have found that in most cases they can be completely removed, what fun. Fetch me my red pen!
2 comments:
My room-mate has just finished her PhD and is deeply sympathetic, as am I but with less empathy and more pity. I love you and miss you. Let's start talking about February, have you got a savings plan? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Can't be in touch more because no time and weird unreliable wireless at hotel. Will hopefully be happily living at Brad Pitt House (don't spread it around, I want to keep that jewel to myself for a little longer) by the weekend. Keep updating lovely. Good luck with the crayon thesis xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PS I may be a little drunk.
Teehee, big hugs. I am busy writing and applying for jobs. Once I have an income then I can have a savings plan. When are you starting a blog?!?! I have been enjoying your photos.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment