Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Markets in Venice

This was a few days after the conference. I decided I needed to get to grips with my new camera all on my own so no one would get annoyed at me standing and taking 10 photos of a doorway with different apertures and shutter speeds! I let my feet take me on the natural route from Cannareggio towards San Marco and then decided to pop across the Rialto bridge and go to the vegetable market to take photos of food.

The Rialto Bridge with a strange beam of sunlight hitting the underside.

Hello little dog! Little white dogs always make me think of the Venetian painter Carpaccio, little white dogs abounded in his paintings. For example here is one in one of the paintings from his series Miracles of the True Cross in the Accademia, I took a sneaky picture because he reminded me of Hamish the Wonder Dog.


Always have your boat well carpeted.

Radicchio.

Asparagus, I love how the vegetables are beautifully wrapped. 

Beautiful oranges, I wanted to buy some just for the wrappers.

Nom nom tomatoes, by this stage I was starting to feel sad about not being able to cook anything.

Carciofi!

Next to the vegetable market was a second hand/antique market. The prices were kind of insane, basically think of the most expensive price they might charge and then double it, so I just took photos. 
 Sorry the head is cut off, I was sort of 'shooting from the hip' as the stallholder was looking askance at my camera. 

Murano glass mirror anyone? I would love this didn't even dare to ask the price.

Ugly paintings and brass plates abounded.

Glass pencils, ugly pink and gold bowl? I meant to take photos of all the ugliest glass concoctions but somehow I didn't quite get the pictures. This is nothing compared to the 1 metre high glass golliwogs for sale in Piazza San Marco, ugly and racist. Actually if the bowl had been under 20 euro I probably would have bought it.
 This one I loved.

I LOVED this bling table, I was ready to buy stuff till another lady asked the prices and they basically started at 250 euro. Eeeek. It was mostly quite fancy and seemingly original vintage stuff but eeek nonetheless.



3 comments:

Donna said...

Great pics! That red jug & matching glasses set is gorgeous.

And the tomatoes look like little red pumpkins "p

Anonymous said...

Those photos are fantastic! I'm so jealous, looks like you had an amazing time.

Laurie said...

the fresh produce pictures are amazing. nom nom nom!

love the antique pictures too. Venice looks amazing. is this your first trip there?